This sculpture was presented by the Art Fund to mark the bicentenary of the museum's opening in 1811 as the first public art gallery in England.

Randall-Page visited the gallery and was inspired by the Sir John Soane building, the history and outdoor setting. The three carved boulders reference the three founders of the gallery and the decoration replicates the 'running dog' decorative frieze on the building. This is the first sculpture to enter the collection and the first work of art to be permanently placed in the gardens.


The artist.

Back to top