Nottingham Castle is closed for major redevelopment works, scheduled for completion in 2020.
This ducal mansion, built on the site of the original medieval castle, houses important collections of fine and decorative art and galleries on local history and archeology.
The original castle, built by William the Conqueror in 1068, would become immortalised as the stronghold of the Sheriff in the Robin Hood stories. The Italian-inspired palace that stands at the site today was built in the 17th century by the Duke of Newcastle, William Cavendish and his son, Henry. In 1832, rioters protesting against the then-Duke of Newcastle's opposition to the Reform Act burned the building down. It was restored in 1875 and opened as Nottingham Castle Museum.
One of the world's finest collections of Wedgwood ceramics can be seen alongside silver and glass, while highlights from the city's painting collection are displayed in Long Gallery.
Fifteen centuries of Nottingham history are brought to life through interactive displays, and the galleries host exhibitions by regional, national and international artists.